Friday, June 29, 2012

MEIT Program Reflection

As I look back on my journal entries throughout this cohort, I am reminded of all of the interesting programs and strategies I have been exposed to since day 1. I had always thought of myself as being rather technically savvy, but I feel like this program gave me the boost I needed to push me out of a technology rut I had no idea I was in! Yes, there is life beyond Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office...who knew?!

One of the areas of this program that helped me the most had to do with using technology to build collaboration. Whether it is in a classroom setting or in the workplace, today's world requires people to come to the table ready and able to play. Traditionally, we have been taught to work as individuals; we may have been asked to make contributions, but those parts were put together to make a whole end product. Through the tools that I've been introduced to, such as Google Apps and the various wiki applications, I have been able to create an online structure for my staff to help promote communication and collaboration that I am not sure I would have been able to do prior to this program. But, it's not just the technology aspects that helped me develop my skills and strategies to promote a collaborative workplace; we learned how to change our delivery styles from sage on the stage to guide on the side, which is so important when you are attempting to encourage participation from all. Through those pedagogical strategies, as well as our weekly group work, I developed a better understanding of how to effectively facilitate a discussion rather than taking over and being the sole decision-maker.

I truly enjoyed the MEIT program and believe almost every course provided me with a challenge and I came out of each class with new tools to add to my set. I think my staff also benefited from what I was learning; I was able to get them excited about technology in their classrooms and introduce them to online applications to keep things fresh with their students.

Although it is a relief to be finished because there was a lot of time and work invested throughout this program, I can honestly say I will miss our Tuesday night class meetings! It's been fun getting to know everyone both personally and professionally. Thank you for changing my view of online learning; it is most definitely possible to effectively learn, collaborate and develop relationships with fellow students with whom you never share a physical classroom. It's been fantastic~

2 comments:

  1. It is hard for people who were always taught "Do your own work" and "sharing work with another student is cheating" to change our mindset and embrace the power of collaborative learning. It sounds like you have successfully made that transition. I have found that to be one of the more valuable lessons in this program as well.
    Keep up the good work - I enjoyed working with you in small group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a pleasure to work and learn with you. Best wishes as you continue to grow and apply instructional technology.

    ReplyDelete