Saturday, April 28, 2012

Week 5 Leadership and Planning 565

This week we completed our team simulation of a system wide change and completed some reflections on the process. I also spent some time reflecting on my own experience attempting to promote and implement change within my workplace and had some eye opening moments as I thought about what I had to work through and learn on my own, as well as how far I've come.

The system-wide change simulation was, I believe, an overall good experience. While I don't think it effectively replicated what I would have to deal with in an actual change implementation, I think it was effective in helping me identify the different parts of the process and the types of personalities I have and will continue to encounter as a change agent within my organizaiton. The reason I didn't feel it was not a true representation of a real life change process is because I was missing the human interaction element to the process. We were able to interact with one another as a team, but everything else was in theory, including the stakeholders within the game. To me, so much of being a leader and promoting change has to do with building relationships and obtaining a sense of the personalities involved. While the information was all there, to me it was a little too abstract to make that connection. But, as I mentioned, the way the process was laid out, including the factors to consider, provided me with valuable experience that I plan to take with me as I continue to promote growth within my workplace.

As far as my own individual practical experience with system-wide change goes, I have to admit, I had to learn how to make change happen the hard way. My experience had always been in a top down organization in the sense that the person at the top made the decisions based on needs he/she identified, not necessarily based on research and feedback from stakeholders. It felt like a reactive way for me to lead, and since I am not the owner of the business I found I did not have that leverage to help promote buy in from the staff; but it was the only model I had to follow at the time and I gave it my best shot. Leadership in that manner is tough to maintain and I am no stranger to the bumps in the road that occur when you wear the decision maker hat and people don't necessarily agree. It took much trial and error, lessons learned, books read, questions asked of people in successful leadership positions to transition into the type of leader I am today. Through those methods, as well as through my coursework, I have cultivated the skill set and tools to become more of a true facilitatior and team leader, rather than the sole decision maker. As a result, I have a more cohesive team that is much improved in terms of morale. I also see a significant change in ownership at all levels of the company, which is critical to the success of what we want to accomplish. I believe I am a much better listener and guide to my staff than I have ever been in the past, and I hope that through this approach I will see greater success as I work to promote system-wide change to keep our business competitive in the educational business marketplace.

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have had some great experience in this area Sue. You are absolutely right, it is hard to be a leader of ideas when you don't have any direct authority. The best way to do it is to build relationships, as you noted. There is no substitute for know the people who are affected by the decision, and how they might react. It is also good to know who the social players are, so that you can get them on your side and have them influence their networks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue,
    your comments were spot on! The entire process seemed abstract and intangible to me as well. It wasn't until I sat back and wrote the paper for this week that I was able to pull together the elements of the lesson.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Yvette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue---

    I liked your post here; I thought it was very well thought out, and most of all, honest. I too thought that the simulation was fun and informative, but I think that you are on to something. That personal element of persuasion is hard to replicate in a simulation. I've often found that it's the person who sells the idea, even if the idea does lack luster. I'm also glad to hear that you've grown in your ability to react with your co-workers. I also feel like this cohort has also improved some of my abilities, both with people and technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buy in to change is always a tough thing to cultivate, but it sounds like you have had some positive experiences. Out of everything that we have read what would you say is the most important thing to promote buy in from coworkers for new ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I think one of the most important ways to promote buy in from coworkers is to make them a part of the decision making process. In other words, I might identify a need through observation and feedback from individuals so I would propose a need for change. As a team, we create possible solutions and develop a path we can reach a consensus as the best option with the idea that it could evolve as we proceed.
      Also, trust is huge. If your team trusts that you are going to follow through with a solution that is with the big picture in mind, it becomes easier to gain buy in when there is trust.

      Delete